Labahita is a delicious fish this can be preserved through salting. When you look for an English word of Labahita, Google translate will tell you that it is a “surgeon fish”. Seems interesting and humorous, what made the fish name to a surgeon?
I remember when my mom was still alive, her friend who is our neighbor loved to give her a fish that looks like a Labahita, her dish was so delicious and I just reinvented her recipe . This lunch time, I made Labahita our viand. The Labahita that I used in cooking is not the natural Labahita but the salted one.
To make this explanation clearly presented, here is my recipe for Labahita.
Labahita in Onions and Potatoes
½ Kilo Salted Labahita
Calamansi or Lemon
1. Boil Labahita with half of the garlic and one whole ginger. Make sure the garlic and ginger were cut in small slices, to spread their juices.
2. Cut the remaining vegetables in small pieces.
3. When Labahita meat is already tender through boiling, shred its meat.
4. Sautee garlic, onions and potatoes. Put the shredded Labahita.
5. Let it simmer. Then put it in bowl and add some red chili or siling labuyo.
6. Lastly, squeeze calamansi or lemon before serve.
|LABAHITA WITH ONIONS AND POTATOES|
Salted Labahita will complement the sweet taste of onion and potato. Calamansi or lemon will fight the saltiness of the Labahita. Have a great meal everyone, make sure to eat this dish with plain rice.